Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday



Today is a beautifully sunny day. I watched the sun rise over the water and once more realised just how lucky I am to have the opportunity to live and work in NZ.
Although we are heading into the autumn the weather is still warm and dry.
Living here makes me appreciate The Garden Party which we had to read at school. Then in the Uk it didn't really connect, but now I fully understand what Katherine Mansfield was getting at. I think she is one of the best NZ authors. My all time favourite author has always been Jane Austen, with Emma being a particularly loved novel. I think Mr Knightly beats Mr Darcy anyday, but then I too go for the older man.


I also love Dracula, and have taught it to many students purely because of my own fascination with the gothic genre. I have been to Whitby and seen the steps up the the Abbey and you can sense the darkness of the place.

But I am a bit of a book tart I am ashamed to admit and will read anyone at least once, with the exception of Sci fi. I don't mind the odd fantasy but I really can't get into the other.
Recently I thoroughly enjoyed Kate Mosse's Labyrinth and Sepulchre for their gothic atmosphere.

No comments: