This applique set was given to me for my birthday. I'd seen it hanging in the local Craft shop and loved it from the first. It's my first ever attempt at applique so we'll not linger too long on the size of the blanket stitch or the beak that's on upside down. I am pretty happy with a first effort. It's taken me a while and really if I hadn't volunteered to do four duties over the Christmas period it would still be unfinished. Being on base for 24 hours gave me a perfect opportunity to draw, cut and sew to my heart's content.
I learnt a lot along the way, namely that you draw the pieces individually. I drew two owls before I discovered this gem of information.
I learnt that batting and wadding are very different materials and will give very different results.
I learnt that corners are fiddly, critters that so far elude my patience and experience level.
I also learnt that I thoroughly enjoy applique and so when I received a heap of gorgeous lilac fat quarters from my magazine swap partner Laurie I knew it had to been an applique project.
This is a Sunbonnet Sue pattern that I found free here
The background material was really hard to pick. It didn't seem to matter what colour I tried they all seemed to clash. Finally we took the quarters of to Spotlight and spent hours holding them against pretty much every fabric choice they had until it was decided that the beige with small white flowers while not perfect was the best choice.
I have proper batting to finish it off this time and I'm thinking of making it a wall hanging by threading wooden dowels top and bottom. It will then hang in my bedroom so I can admire each morning when I wake up and each evening when I go to sleep.
Two more sleeps until Social knitting start again. Can you tell I've missed my weekly sit and knit time.