Sunday, May 4, 2008

to crochet or not to crochet that is the question




I know my youngest loves to copy me and do whatever I am doing, so I only have myself to blame when I decided to get caught up in the desire to crochet a ripple blanket. Never mind that I can only just crochet, it's a bit painful to watch at first as I bravely try to get my resistent fingers to obey relatively simple commands, or the lack of a colour scheme or even enough wool of the same ply, I just have to make a start on one. I'm hopefully optimistic that I'll get into it and then on Monday I can make a quick trip to the LYS to stock up on the required yarn. So I sit down and begin. Youngest daughter watches intently,
"what you doing mum?" she asks after five minutes.
"crocheting" I reply.
"hmmm" she says, 'it looks like plaiting. Will you teach me?"
"one day," I reply as I fumble to insert the hook to make the first row. It's taking me quite a lot of concentration to remember the flow. Youngest sits next to me. "it looks easy" she says.
"hmm" I say. I speak the instructions to myself and before long have an echo in my ear as youngest repeats them too, a fraction of second behind me. I last another ten minutes before putting my crochet attempt to one side and prepare to teach youngest. This is easier said than done as although she picks it up pretty quickly she has to check every Dc with me. Several hours later, and a lot of patience, untangling and me trying not to look too longlingly at my own piece, of barely begun crocheting, she is very proud of her efforts which she declares just right for Baby Alive as a scarf.
I decide it's best to leave the hard stuff and instead finish off a baby bolero and look, note only look a the unfinished sock.

Youngest noting that I'm no longer doing any crocheting says, "don't wory mummy it gets easier as you do it. I'll help you if you want"
Actually I am thrilled that she has inherited my love of knitting and crocheting at such a tender age, but perhaps a tad less enthusiasm occasionally wouldn't hurt.
Here's what I managed to get done.


The pink bolero, no home for it yet, but I'm sure someone will have a baby soon.


Peri looking a bit put out that he had to share my lap with a puppy. He didn't agree to any puppysitting.

10 comments:

Down on the Farm said...

I remember my first attempts at crocheting. I "hit a bump" and it took me 3 days, continually going back and trying again and again until I finally mentally took a breath (put a comma) in a different place in the instructions and a light came on! Now I crochet when I want to play. I love the looks of knitting but crocheting seems like a vacation.

I love it when I take the time to read your blogs. You should write a book. You are often hilarous. I seldom ever read or watch anything on the TV unless it makes me laugh. I have recently read all 13 books of Janet Evanovitch's Stephany (sp?) Plum series. She is the most crazy, funny, outrageous author I have ever read. Her romances are often the same. Connie

Willow said...

I'm good at knitting, at crocheting 'not so much'. My younger dd out-crocheted me years ago. The good part of that is now when I see something crocheted that I like, I bat my eyes and say prettily, "Sweetie, could you make that for me?"

It's only fair, and just wait, you'll get your turn to be the recipient of crocheted things soon!

Willow said...

Oh yes, the baby bolero. It's really sweet. Twisted stitch?

kerri said...

I'm a much better knitter than crocheter as well (though I have gotten much of either done lately). Teaching your youngest is a great investment. Imagine what she'll be able to make in the future!

Poor Peri! If you didn't explain that picture I would have thought Peri was beating up that teeny little puppy.

Country Cottage Chic said...

Those puppies are getting even more adorable! I remember my mum teaching me to crochet granny squares when I was a child, but I've totally forgotten how!

Leanne said...

Well done on the crochet lesson.... perhaps I could come visit you I really struggle with crochet I keep trying to knit.

Unknown said...

Maybe Peri thinks you have to sit on the puppy for puppy sitting ... I think crochet - like knitting - gets easier as you do more ... I guess that applies to most things :-)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

It's wonderful that you put down your project and taught your daughter. I am pretty much self-taught at all the crafts I do, and it would have been so much nicer to have had a sweet and patient teacher instead!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit today--I always enjoy meeting new people!
Smiles, Karen

susan said...

hehe poor doggie!
i love your little pink bolero.
i saw you over at kerri made, i think taking a sewing class on a tote or something similar would be a great way to get your feet wet. the things you learn you can apply to other sewing projects, really!

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

What a delightful baby bolero!

Excellent job, so adorable.

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy