Tuesday, January 4, 2011

TTPT


Thanks to Some of a kind for this post.

I have managed to read a fair bit over the past few weeks, mainly due to it being summer and long lazy days on the beach.

I've read Ape House by Sara Gruen, author of Water for Elephants. I have to say it didn't seem as deep as her first book but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Sam, Bonzi, Lola and Makena are not ordinary monkeys. They are capable of reason and of carrying on deep relationships, they also know American Sign Language. When an explosion destroys their lab and frees the apes to an unknown location there begins a hunt to save them from a money making mogul who plans to make a reality TV programme with them.
There are times when the plot feels heavy and a little contrived but mostly it's an enjoyable read.

The other book I've read this month was a Christmas present from my son, Distant Hours by Kate Morton. It starts with a letter lost for over fifty years and takes us on a Gothic mystery tale as Edie tries to unravel the past and uncover the secrets that haunt all who have lived at Milderhurst Castle. The book is well written with some imaginative prose and deeply descriptive sections. The characters feel vibrant and well rounded and the book hooks you through the multiple layers of mystery and secrecy to the end.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the reviews. I have "Ape House" on my to read list. I so enjoyed "Water for Elephants". I may move it a little further down? This past summer I read Morton's "Forgotten Garden". It was enjoyable. Happy reading!

Willow said...

Hmmm, I need some easy reading material. I'll look for Kate Morton in my library.

Happy New Year!

Adrienne said...

I have yet to read a Morton book ... looking like I need to ad this to my ever growing list. Sounds like a page turner. Thanks for particpating - Happy New Years!

Jill said...

OH YES! I LOVE Gothic Mysteries - so Morton's book is another one for the "to read" list. Thanks.

Happy New Year!

Paula said...

I LOVED "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton, so going to have to get this one! And "Water For Elephants" was one of my favorite reads this past year, so must add "Ape House" to my list as well. Good reviews - thanks much~

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for the reviews! I loved Water for Elephants, so I'm glad to have a review of Ape House. And the Kate Morton book sounds wonderful. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Both of these sound very interesting. I loved "Water for Elephants"