Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Curse

There is no doubt December has been a tough month to live through. Not withstanding the challenges of living with two teenage girls, it seemed for a while that the sweater curse was going to land on my head with a resounding "Take That" and how dare you be so smug as to think you could avoid me. Needles lay neglected mid row, I add in deep shame. Yarn held no attraction despite its siren call and the lure of wondrous things to make. The duvet looked warm and snuggly and more inviting that getting up and pasting a smile on my face.
But I am a big girl and there are only so many tears you can cry before you start to feel distinctly soggy and in need of wringing out. Plus puffy eyes and a red nose only works on those blessed with supernatural beauty. I just look plain ugly when I cry. Having run out of brown bags to wear over my head and thus unable to avoid scaring the neighbourhood kids, (Halloween being long gone,) it was time to shake off the dust and step out bravely.
Cute neighbour guy realised after my short hibernation period that I was more important to him than he had realised and the curse has been beaten back to a respectable distance. I fear it may still be hovering somewhere in the vicinity and I am not yet ready to continue with the sweater requested and started. Perhaps a safe pair of socks instead!
Happy Christmas to you all and roll on 2010.

14 comments:

SissySees said...

Cute spin on what I'm sure isn't a funny tale at all. Don't give the curse any power... but being mostly Scot-Irish, I vote you don't start again on the sweater 'til the New Year...

Jane said...

Happy Christmas Ally and I hope you manage to harness the curse and turn it to happiness. Mean time forget the knitting and do something different. Hugs Jane x

Leonie said...

Oh what a shame. As the others say give it a break with the knitting and come back to it fresh. It will be much the better for the break. Best Wishes for a lovely Christmas with your girls and all the luck for the New Year.

Willow said...

Sending you a New Year's blessing to counter the curse~ may all your dreams and hopes come true in 2010~

Merry Christmas from Willow at Willow's Cottage

Elizabeth said...

Merry Christmas Alison!
Stand under the mistletoe with Cute Neighbour.
All the best in the New Year.

Thimbleanna said...

Hmmmm. Take a wooden stake through the heart of the curse! Sorry to hear about this latest kink in the road. I hope 2010 brings nothing but happiness!

Leanne said...

Start 2010 afresh and socks sound very good to me.

t does wool said...

Hope your Christmas was beautiful Ally..
and a happy New year to you.
glad to see you back ;)
everything has a way of righting itself...

Mary said...

Best wishes for a Happy New Year, Ally!

Linda said...

Oh poops to the curse. I do hope the new year brings sweaters galore to knit and no curses. xx

Renee said...

Hope you had a lovely Christmas.
Wishing you a wonderful, happy and spectacular 2010!

Alison Gibbs said...

Hope you and the girls had a great christmas
Alison

Indigo Blue said...

I find knitting garments frustrating and last year I did complete a cardigan but I needed help with it and I shall not be making another one any time soon. Give it a while then have another go. I may be losing the plot here but did you enter my Christmas stocking swap? If yes did you recieve a parcel? I was away at Christmas so not had a chance to really catch up with things until now.

xx

Renee said...

Wishing you a Happy 2010!